Monday, June 25, 2007

Review of An Amateur Marriage by Anne Tyler

This was a Book Group selection that’s been sitting beside the bed for the last 4 weeks.
Since Book Group is this week I felt that I better read it.

Wasn’t sure if this was my thing. I’d heard of Anne Tyler but not read any of her books, putting her down (unfairly) as a chic lit writer.

Mustn’t grumble as I was happy enough when we picked the title at the last book group meeting.

After munching it over the weekend I found it a very interesting, rewarding book which gave a snapshot of an American relationship which ultimately was destined to fail.

The marriage is consummated after a whirlwind war-time romance between Michael and Pauline. He’s sensible, aloof and dour. She’s bright vivacious, emotional. Do opposite’s attract?

Yes and no. Here they do spark off each other a lot and through the numerous spats they have over the course of the book, you think – why do they bother? I suppose they lived in an age when people were expected to try and work out their differences themselves. Hence, the 30 years before Michael eventually walks out.

Given the emotionality of the core relationship. The book was very good at providing snapshots of suburban American life through the 50’s and 60’s. Each chapter moves the action on a number of years and quickly fills in the details of the intervening years.

Overall, I enjoyed the book a lot and would not be against reading any of Ms Tyler’s books.

No comments: